Be an Indian Giver this season. The text below is from an inspirational speech I recently gave at Toastmasters. It was intended to be only 2 minutes long, however I went over just by a bit. I think it’s important to share this with you, feel free to pass it on.
I went to see a great speaker this week. His name was Shy Kurtz. I won’t get into the premise of his speech, but some of the background he gave reminded me of a very important concept, which we often forget in today’s busy, consumer world.
He started talking about the term ‘Indian Giver’, where it came from, and why in fact when it was intended as a insult, it rather should have been a compliment.
The term came from a misunderstanding, through a difference of cultures. In the Native American culture, a gift has a life of it’s own. When you give a gift, you are creating something that will live on forever. Why? Because it is expected that when one receives a gift, that it is not kept – the gift must be passed on. Not necessarily the same physical object, it’s more metaphysical than that – the gift itself must be passed on, and that is how it stays alive! Imagine, every time you start a gift chain, it could be passed all around the world, through thousands of people, only to come back to you!
The term Indian Giver appears to have come about when the Native Americans realized that their new neighbors did not subscribe to that way of thinking. It seems that some took offense to that, and took their gifts back, not wanting them to die.
And that is where the term Indian giver came from. A clash of cultures.
This holiday season, let’s all keep the gifts alive, and bring a little more light into the world!
Meet the Author
“What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals…” - Henry David Thoreau
Cian Kenshin is an MBA (Finance), a consultant for 32 of the top sports franchises in the US, and founder of multiple successful startups including a Vertical Farm company, is a certified teacher of Yoga and Zen, a Certified Virtual Coach by Eben Pagan, soon to be author, and a sought after Executive Coach for start-ups and boardroom executives alike. Known for his unique perspective on productivity, this serial entrepreneur and investor is a wealth of fresh ideas, constantly seeking new ways to ‘do business better’.
He's now taken his skills in entrepreneurship, and professional performance and created a system of personal performance and growth that can help you succeed in both life and business. He has recently partnered with GFIT Wellness to offer these unique sessions to the corporate world.
Check Cian out at mindhacker.com and at his podcast
Subscribe to my Blog
- The Elephant and the Rider: Subconscious, and awareness September 12, 2019 (4,159)
- The Wave – A Poem By The MindHacker December 24, 2017 (3,403)
- Balance: Don’t fight your addiction May 3, 2018 (3,353)
- Open Source Enlightenment: A proposal for rapid… June 6, 2018 (3,226)
- Dualistic appearances: why self and no self can coexist May 20, 2018 (3,206)
- The one mistake nearly everyone makes during meditation August 14, 2018 (3,185)
- Amp up your Mind in just 10 minutes a day August 28, 2018 (3,145)
- Being seen through – By The MindHacker April 16, 2018 (2,866)
- Not Mine – Not-Self. No… A MindHacker Poem August 20, 2018 (2,779)
- Why anticipation is something to forget September 13, 2018 (2,644)